Where do the Palace's roots go? What has it experienced over the centuries?


Jankowice Palace

The palace in Jankowice was built in 1803 on the site of the former Twardowski manor. Its original form refers to the avant-garde neoclassical trends, fashionable at the turn of the 18th and 19th centuries in the Berlin milieu. The architecture of the palace – villa at the time of its construction was considered extremely modern.

In this form (with a winter garden added at the end of the 19th century), the building survived for over 100 years. In 1912, it was expanded by adding side wings and two terraces, designed by the outstanding Poznań architect Roger Sławski.

After World War II and the nationalization of the Jankowice estate, there was a production cooperative on the manor farm, and a training center was set up in the palace.

Later, the building was given to a student organization. From the 1990s, the building slowly deteriorated. In 2005, the palace and the park were taken over by the Municipality of Tarnowo Podgórne, which in 2016-2018 carried out a major renovation of the building from its own funds (cost EUR 5 million).

Today it is a place for meetings and interesting cultural events.

The history of the Jankowice Palace in the study of Rafał Plebański:

The Park in Jankowice

The park near the Jankowice manor was created between 17th and 18th century, when the financial assets were in the hands of Twardowski family. It was a lot smaller back then, ranging from the manor to the lake area. The oldest trees in the park are over 350 years old. Engeström family is responsible for increasing its area, new plants and the process of expanding lakes with the waters of Sama river. At that time the park was designed in the English style.

  The following trees were planted in 1800: chestnuts(Aesculus hippocastanum L.), sycamores that used to create an alley  (Platanus acerifolia L.), oaks (Quercus robur L.) and beeches (Fagus L.).

The following exotic trees remained from the times of the park revitalisation performed by A. Denizot in 1900: arborvitaes(Thuja occidentalis), ginkgo (Gingko biloba), Canadian hemlock(Tsuga canadensis L.), tulip tree (Liriodendron tulipifera L.), cypress tree(Taxodium distichum), red horse-chestnut  (Aesculus ×carnea).

During that time the park’s area was increased (today it’s equal to 18.6 ha), and the lake area, that is approximately 3 ha, and the number of its isles was increased to 4. 

Tarnowo Podgórne Commune that is responsible for the park puts a lot of effort into keeping it in well condition. Things like lighting, clear paths, benches, playgrounds and a mini ropes course and sport paths were provided. Fishing enthusiasts can be interested in the lake, and the people who enjoy being outdoors can consider organising a picnic on the northern glade.

The park is a historical site. It has been entered into the register of historic monuments under the number 161/A with the decision of Provincial Historic Preservation Officer in the city of Poznań on 17 July 1968. 


The park next to the Jankowice palace is one of the most interesting complexes of this type in Wielkopolska. Established for the Engestrom family at the beginning of the 19th century on about 12 hectares, using an earlier park, it was enlarged and enriched with exotic trees in the early 20th century by Augustyn Denizot for Count Stefan. Kwilecki.

The decoration of the park is an elongated pond with four islands of various sizes.

Among the trees, the most interesting are plane trees living in a large group, an alley of chestnut trees, ashes, willows, as well as younger trees: ginkgo biloba, American tulip tree, Canadian hemlock, and thuja.

The park, currently covering 18.5 hectares, has facilities encouraging active recreation: a rope park, an outdoor gym, a playground for children and a climbing wall.